Saturday, October 1, 2011

good news in Provo...

And no, I'm not talking about the spectacular, nail biting win against Utah State last night-- although that was some pretty good news. (Go Cougs!)


The Provo Tabernacle was built in 1898 and has been an iconic historical building in the town. I attended lots of church meetings and some community events there during my seven years in Provo. It was a beautiful building and very special to me. It was special to most members of the Provo community. And I don't think it's because, as BYU students, everyone attends Stake Conference there twice a year. Or because of the annual Christmas program. Or even because of all it's historical significance to the Church.

BYU Graduation 1938


Those things were important, and definitely connect us to the building in a somewhat tangible way. But there's something more than that to the significance of the Provo Tabernacle. It has to do with driving by it a million times every week. And that every time you did, you couldn't help but take a moment to smile at it-- just for still being there. And for still being so beautiful despite years and years of constant use.

It lent something unchanging, stable, and constant to a bustling university town. And for some reason, that made it important and comforting to me.



I'm not sure that I had ever really given much thought to all of that until it nearly burnt to the ground last December. It was horrible, gut-wrenching news. Chris called me while he was at work. I was crying before I had even confirmed it on KSL. And I know that must sound silly, to cry over the Tabernacle when I was just a temporary resident. But still, it had meant something to me, and it hurt to see it destroyed.


This morning, in General Conference, President Thomas S. Monson announced the restoration of the Provo Tabernacle. And not only it's rebuilding-- but also the plans to restore it as the second Provo Temple! Chris and I have been talking about it all day!! I hate that we can't be there to see it all happen and attend the dedication, but it's still heart warming to know that it's happening.


And I guess that's all. I just wanted to tell the world :)

No comments: