Sunday, March 21, 2010

Baltimore Bomb Pie

***visit my other blog, Something Swanky for an updated version of this recipe!
Click Here

One of my favorite things to do is try to recreate foods Chris and I have seen on different shows on the food network. One of our favorite shows is called "the best thing I ever ate." The show is basically just the different food network stars talking about their favorite foods and where you can find them, based on different themes-- like "fried foods," "comfort food," "on a stick," etc. So the other night we watched "guilty pleasures" and Duff Goldman's favorite food was the Baltimore Bomb Pie at "Dangerously Delicious Pies" (turns out you can order their pies online, by the way: www.dangerouspies.com). So I gave it a shot, and here's how it went... (FYI, I totally spaced it and forgot to take a pic of it right out the oven looking all pretty, oops)


Step 1: Fill an unbaked pie crust with broken up chocolate chip cookies


I used these from Macey's...

...But they used these super fancy Berger Cookies in the Dangerously Delicious Bakery (which you can also order online! ...and my birthday is in July. Just thought that was relevant information...)


...so I added some extra chocolate to mine.


This is called Chess. I had never heard of it before in my life, but upon searching for a recipe for it on Allrecipes.com, it looks like I might have been alone in my ignorance. For any of you who don't know what it is though, it tastes a lot like pecan pie filling. It's basically butter, sugar, and eggs. You pour this into your pie shell (which I, of course, forgot to get a picture of).


And then, skipping a few steps here, this is what it looks like baked and mostly eaten :) The recipe I used for chess said to bake it at 350 for 35 minutes, but it wasn't even close to being set in the middle, so I took it to 325 for another 30 minutes. It set a little better, but as you can see, still kind of runny. If I do it again, I'd probably go for 350 at an hour and maybe use one of the recipes that had more eggs in it, just for better binding.

Anyway, let me know if you try it! It was WAY good with some vanilla ice cream. And it's super easy to make-- good idea if you have people coming over!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

did you know your neighbor is from baltimore and I highly recommend berger cookies.

rosemary life said...

Just had some Berger cookies tonight and they were real good.

cassie booth said...

I SAW THE SAME SHOW A FEW NIGHTS AGO AND I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS RECIPE SINCE THEN. I AM GOING TO MAKE IT FOR MOTHERS DAY. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW MINE TURNS OUT! THANKS FOR THE RECIPE!!!

Carolyn said...

Did you post the recipe? I'd love to try it.
Thanks!

Pleep said...

I ordered Berger cookies online and received them today. Just in time, too... I plan on making this pie for my boyfriend's work anniversary tomorrow (cinco de mayo!). We saw it on the Guilty Pleasures food network tv show and both ooohed and ahhhed over it. Thanks for posting the recipe! I'm venturing to allrecipes now to get the chess ingredients (I live by that site btw). Wish me luck ;)

Jessica