Thursday, January 21, 2010

Granola Bars and Apple Juice

I know I'm a frustratingly sporadic blogger- sorry. But someone was especially nice to me the other day, and it touched me enough to get me blogging.

As you may know, I spend a LOT of my day interacting with car people-- body shop people, dealership people, car sales people, towing people, etc, etc. In general, these people are often times single men. And of these men, a good portion of them are on the somewhat.. er, less sensitive side. So what I am trying to say, is I don't typically expect to find the concern and compassion of a relief society member in my day to day interactions with these men.

Well, shame on me.

On Tuesday morning, I woke up late (as is my morning routine) and rushed to work without breakfast. I'd like to just note here that I have officially entered the stage of pregnancy in which you are HUNGRY all. the. time. So I was especially cranky and especially not feeling well that morning. I went to pick up a car from the Nissan dealership here in Orem. When I got to the service writer's desk to pick up the key, we did a little bit of chatting. Always one eager to voice my complaints, I was quick to let him know I didn't get any breakfast and that I'm pregnant- which means, of course, I should be entitled to food when ever I want it. It was only seconds later that he and two other service writers were cramming more granola bars and apple juice boxes than I could carry in my arms from their stash in their break room.

And that's it, that's all to the story. I know it's simple. But something about it kind of bolstered my faith in people-- that, in general, we do all want to help our neighbor and ease one another's burden. It opened my eyes that morning and encouraged me to look and see where I might be able to help someone else. Just wanted to pass it on.

No comments: