Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ziplock Bag Apple Crisp

Being among the super poor student population in Provo, Chris and I have really been trying to live by the motto: "waste not, want not." Especially as that motto applies to food. And especially when that food is fruit. I don't care how bumped and bruised it is, give me some fruit and I'll make a crisp, or a pie, or a sauce and serve it to you over pancakes!

So, in keeping with this motto, I made an apple crisp last night with some apples that a friend had given us from their own apple tree! I got the recipe from Kraft.com (I'll post it below). The best part is: I made the whole thing in two ziplock bags! With all the recreational cooking and baking that I do, the dishes really pile up. And by the end of the day, I'm pretty sick of dishes. So, by using plastic bags whenever I can, I can usually eliminate mixing bowls and spoons pretty easily! It's fantastic.

Here are pics and the recipe:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
3 Honey Grahams, finely crushed
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
6 cups peeled and diced apples

Step 1:
place oats, grahams, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/3 c. flour, 1/3 c. butter, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in gallon sized ziplock bag. (side note: you have to, have to, have to have the grahams. I couldn't believe how much more I like this crisp because of them. Seriously, this is the best fruit crisp I've ever had and it's because of those graham crackers! So don't think you can skip!)


Step 2: Microwave for 1 minute (bag sealed).

Step 3: "Mush" it all together until it combined and looks like crumbs. Like this:

Step 4: In your second ziplock bag, combine 1/2 c. brown sugar, 2 Tbsp. flour, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.

Step 5: Dice the apples and toss in the coating in bag #2. It should look like this:


Step 6: Place apples in greased 8x8 baking dish, spread on oat topping.

Step 7: Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

Step 8: Enjoy over vanilla ice cream. Always over ice cream. :)


PS: Dear Mom, Grandma, and Tammy,
I will post new pictures of Emma soon. Promise.

No comments: