Monday, December 13, 2010

My Season for Giving Thanks.

I know, I know. That's Thanksgiving. And Christmas is the season for just "giving." But, for me, Christmas will always be a time of gratitude.

I've been here in my kitchen, doing the dishes, and just letting my mind wander, listening to Christmas music. And for the first time in months, I started thinking about the car accident we were in 6 years ago. I used to think about it every single day. Up until I had Emma. It may just be because I'm not driving as much as I did when I worked or just that all of my energy is consumed by a 6 month old now, but I don't think about that accident every day anymore. In a way, it's a relief, you know? It's nice to not relive that experience daily. But it made me sad to realize that all the awe and gratitude I've held on to for so long must be slipping away a little bit. So I wanted to take a second today, to put into words again how grateful I am.

I'm grateful for Caleb and Keaton. That they're both healthy, happy, and survived to do wonderful things with their lives. That they're my friends. That they're still here to be Uncles to my children.

I'm grateful for my Mom and Dad and for Coop, Addy, and Casey. That they spent Christmas with us in the hospital that year. That they still remember to thank God for our family's miracle in their prayers. That they helped me drive again, flew me home for Caleb's surgery, and took treats to the pediatric ward in the hospital the next year.

I'm grateful for people who studied and studied, and worked and worked to become medical professionals. For those people who were at work during Christmas instead of at home with their families. For the nurse who let me stay in the pediatric ward with my brothers and gave me a giant Pooh bear to hold while I was there.

I'm grateful for my Grandparents, cousins, Aunts, Uncles, ward members, and neighbors who visited us, prayed for us, and took time out of their holiday to care about us.

I'm grateful for Mrs. Mckaskel who took down all of the lights and decorations on our old, dried up Christmas tree, set up a new one, and re-decorated it so that we could celebrate Christmas as a family a week later when we were out of the hospital.

I'm grateful for Chris. That he was someone I felt comfortable talking to about the accident even though we barely knew each other. And that I knew, on some level, he cared about me and my family and that we were going to be ok.

I'm grateful for Shanna, Ashley, Jessica, and Lyndsi. That they met me at the airport with posters and hugs when I flew back to Utah right after the accident. That they willingly provided shoulders for me to cry on.

I'm grateful for Uncle Terry. That he held my hand while the surgeon stitched up my other hand. That he stayed with me while my parents couldn't be with me.


Obviously, the list could go on and on. But I'll stop here :) I just wanted to take a minute and list some of the specific things that meant a lot to me. And for anyone reading this, who didn't get a specific mention, and you're thinking "hey! wait a minute, I was there! I did something too!" I remember you and what you did, I promise. And I thank you.

And what's a blog post without pictures? Here are a few that I wrangled up from my college scrapbook:


Thanks and thanks again to all of you!

Love,
Ashton

PS- Ann, I just realized that you might not love that I posted that picture of you on here! BUT, before you get too upset, you should know that it's on here because it's a sweet memory for me! You guys made that day a lot of fun. Thanks :)

No comments: